I finally finished Lesley's letter of recommendation -- I was avoiding writing it when I wrote my last post. :) While it needed to be done and submitted to a college, I almost wish I hadn't completed it until today.
Yesterday was International Day. This was my first experience with the SSM celebration and I have to say I was incredibly impressed! The international students were in charge of the whole event, from the opening ceremony to the country/region-specific stations around school. Most impressive to me was the opening celebration -- one of our teachers announced, in alphabetical order, the countries our students represent, our choir teacher played the country's national anthem and students from each country processed into the gym carrying their flag. Some of them even sang their national anthem before placing their flag in its stand.
I was particularly moved when Lesley, the student whose letter of recommendation I had such a hard time writing, walked into the gym with his flag around his shoulders, the lone student representing his country, and sang his country's national anthem in front of the entire upper school student body. He never struck me as the type of kid who would do such a thing. So while I'm happy to have completed his rec letter before the end of the week, I wish I had experienced that moment earlier in the year. These kids continue to amaze me.
I'm on duty this weekend. Thankfully, this is one of my easiest duty weekends so far -- 6 hours of sitting in the girls dorm today and 6 hours of sitting in one of the boys dorms tomorrow. I have plenty of notes I could be entering into our student database, but I'm choosing to catch up on my posts, practice my knitting and watch Breaking Bad.
Spring is finally here! I was fortunate enough to catch the sunrise the morning of the Spring Equinox.
Last night we celebrated In Food Marketing's 20 year anniversary! So proud of and happy for Anita and co.
Happy Spring!
Jill




No comments:
Post a Comment