My alarm went off at 5am this morning. After an early morning jog in the hotel fitness center, I headed for Los Alamos, NM. What a beautiful 2 hour drive! In addition to seeing 5 hot air balloons on my way out of Albuquerque, I wove my way through some mountainous terrain, stopping only for a refill on my Starbucks coffee. At the high school, I met with 5 girls and headed back through Santa Fe, where I stopped for some delicious tortilla soup before visiting an independent school, and continued on to Las Vegas, NM. I exited I-25 only to follow historic Route 66 for a few miles. I find that route to be intriguing and should do a little research on it to better understand its history.

I arrived in Las Vegas and followed the signs for the historic old town plaza where I knew I'd find the Plaza Hotel. Jenny warned me that the hotel is straight out of Little House on the Prairie and man she wasn't kidding.

As I was waiting for the slow moving elevator, I started talking with Mike, a man who is going to grad school at the local university. He's in Las Vegas, NM a couple days a week and was telling me about the hotel, bar downstairs (the local hang out in the evening), and the town in general. I explained that I'd never been here before, but I'm here for work, going to Montezuma later tonight to recruit kids for my college in Minnesota. He said, "Minnesota? You must be from St. Olaf." I'm sure my surprise was clear as I said, "Wait.. did I say that?" No. He just guessed. Said he had a hs friend who went to StO. Small world.
Off to the UWC, which I hear is breathtakingly beautiful.
No comments:
Post a Comment