MSP-ABQ (Minneapolis-Albuquerque)
It was a comfy flight to Albuquerque... I was upgraded to first class!

Have I mentioned that it's going to be just about a month until I see Rob again? I'm gone for the next 2 weeks, he's hunting the week I'm home, and before he gets home, I leave for Alaska. As Mom pointed out, at least the trip has begun. It's true. I'm not worried about the time apart, I know we'll talk every day ... I'm just going to miss him. Maybe that's why I felt incredibly lonely my first night in New Mexico. Most of my trips are to Colorado, my 2nd home. I know the area well, have several friends who I try to see while there, etc. As I was driving to Santa Fe yesterday afternoon, I realized I don't know anyone here. Add that to my emotional state and I was lonely.
Rather than wallow in sadness, I explored the charming, artsy city of Santa Fe. There was some sort of festival (wine tasting / chili roasting contest) so the town was packed with visitors. I checked out the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi (probably should have gone to the 5:15pm service that was starting as I got there),

wandered through some of the jewelry and clothing stores and ended up at a restaurant called the Blue Corn Cafe. While enjoying dinner, the man (and his wife) at the next table struck up a conversation with me - he asked me what part of the east I was from. When I said Minnesota, he explained that with my dark hair and dark features, he assumed I was from New York ... and Jewish. Have to say that's the first time I've been mistaken for Jewish. :) The family at the next table over joined in the conversation, turns out that woman's mother was born in MN so they have been there several times. Also, while waiting for the bathroom, that same woman was talking to me about St. Olaf and yet another woman said, "Oh you guys have that wonderful choir, right? My daughter's friend went to St. Olaf." Of course they did. Gotta love the small world in which we live.
Today I had a college fair at the convention center downtown Albuquerque. While I was setting up my table, I heard my friend Jen's laughter from behind my table. Turns out we were back-to-back... and I'm not so alone after all. We weren't able to spend time together after the fair, but it was comforting knowing I wasn't so alone. She recommended Sadie's for dinner - they're a highly rated authentic New Mexican restaurant, which is exactly what I was looking for. Each of their dishes is served with a side of green or red chili that can be poured over the top of the meal. My shredded beef brisket enchilada was excellent!!
Not so lonely today,
Jill
No comments:
Post a Comment