JAL-RJS (Jill's house-Rob's house)
Apparently, I don't have to go far to have travel adventures. Monday night, on my way to Rob's house, I hit a deer. Driving on a 2 lane road about a mile from Rob's, I rounded the curve, saw a deer in the ditch trying to decide if he should run in front of me or go back into the ditch. He went for it. By that time, I had slowed down but it was too late. The deer ran in front of me and I pretty much t-boned him. He sat in the middle of my lane, staring at me, as if he was too tired to make it across the street. While I waited for Rob, the deer struggled to stand up... his front legs were useless. Eventually, he moved to the center of the east bound lane and sat down again. I pulled forward with the intention of turning around so cars coming from the other direction wouldn't hit the poor guy, but that spooked him and he hobbled into the ditch.
When Rob got there, he consulted with his friend Randy about what they should do with the deer who, by this point, had moved farther up the ditch away from the road. They decided to put him out of his misery, but soon realized the deer wasn't actually dying. His front leg was broken. They chased him for a few minutes, but knew the deer wouldn't die because of the accident... he may eventually heal. So they left him in the field. I didn't see him on my way to work the next day, but I heard from Rob (and his uncle, Pat, who lives next to the field where the deer sat) that he was sitting in the same spot. Rob called the game warden, but apparently the deer was in the same spot when Pat got home yesterday afternoon. He called the sheriff and shot the deer. Rob informed me that the deer is now at Pat's meat market in Lonsdale (where Rob's dad also works). I knew Webster was a small town, but this takes the cake. :)
My car is driveable, but will need front end work.
Sorry deer,
Jill
No comments:
Post a Comment