Friday, October 13, 2006

Sinusitis

It's official. I have Sinusitis, which is an "inflammation of the paranasal sinuses due to a virus, bacteria, fungus, or allergic reaction." As of yesterday, the glands in my neck felt incredibly large so during some down time today I went to Urgent Care. I usually hesitate to go to urgent care because when I've gone in the past the waiting room is always packed. Then again, I rarely get sick so I hardly ever go to the doctor.

My experience at the urgent care in Cherry Creek North was very pleasant. I was in and out of the office in about 45 minutes (or less). When the doctor looked in my ears and nose, he said "Wow... you are really blocked in there." He prescribed a nasal spray (three together, actually), which is supposed to drain all the congestion in my head. You might be asking why he didn't prescribe antibiotics.... He went in to this long explanation where he compared sinus infections to boils. He said that if I had come in with a boil on my leg, he wouldn't prescribe antibiotics for it and hope that it clears itself up, but that they would drain the boil which would then help in the healing process. Apparently, that's much like a sinus infection (who knew?), so he wants all the crap to drain from my head in order for it to heal.

Hope it works.

The rest of the week has been going well. Had coffee with Annie Piper yesterday- haven't seen her for at least a year and a half. We have an interesting relationship... we became good friends through her daughter Lizza's admission process and kept in touch once Lizza was at St. Olaf. When I came to Denver, we tried to get together for lunch and coffee a few times. Even when Lizza decided to transfer away from St. Olaf, we remained close. But for the past year my schedule has been too busy when I'm out here, we haven't seen each other and eventually we lost touch. Finally, I had some extra time so we met at Starbucks for a maple macchiato, which I highly recommend.

Attended a slow college fair last night, but afterwards had a great time going out to the Purple Martini with some other counselors, Jessica and her friend, Zach. I had a few tasty martinis (my first official martinis other than the appletini I had on the 4th of July) and, with some encouragement from Jess, Joe and the martinis, I even danced.

Tradition has it that on the Friday of the Denver fairs many counselors get together for dinner downtown Denver and then out to Sing Sing, a dualing piano bar. In the previous 4 years I haven't participated, but again with some encouragement I've committed to going out tonight.

Don't worry, I won't go crazy because the Faith Based Education presentation is tomorrow morning at 10:00 during the 4 hour Cherry Creek Fair and I don't want to be tired in front of a group... or my colleagues from the other colleges on the panel.

Only 2 more days until I head home.
TGIF,
Jill

No comments: