What a beautiful city! It's a shame I won't have any time to see the sights around Aspen, but the little bit I've seen (this year and last) is beautiful! The trees are starting to change colors... they don't get the reds so much but yellow and orange.
Tonight I bit the bullet and attended one of the receptions hosted by families in the Aspen area. I was so tired when I got to my hotel, but I remember people talking about how amazing some of the homes were last year and figured it was either that or wander around the city window shopping and eventually eating by myself. Since I can do that any day this upcoming week, I put on my black pants and headed for the reception.
The home was beautiful! Mountains surrounded three sides of the house, which was only a few blocks from the high school. I met several other admissions reps- Purdue, U of ND, Coe College, Hamilton, etc. That'll make the rest of the week a little more exciting as I'll see people I recognize at the rest of the fairs.
This fair is incredibly well organized- they host all sorts of activities the day before the fair (hiking, biking, rafting, etc), the receptions in the evening, brunch the day of the fair and finally the college fair on Sunday. The way my schedule worked I wasn't able to get in here early enough to take advantage of the outdoor activities, but it's definitely something worth doing next year if timing allows for it.
What a loooong travel day. Started this morning at 6:15am in Pittsburgh (eastern) ended in Aspen at 4:15pm (mountain). All flights went well, I even slept from Pittsburgh to Minneapolis and again from Minneapolis to Denver. Had a great lunch at Axel Bonfire in the Mpls airport- house salad and a super good bowl of chicken tortilla soup. I highly recommend it!
From MSP to DEN I was sitting next to an older couple who was on their way to visit their daughter and granddaughter in Fort Collins. We had a very When-Harry-Met-Sally moment... the man started telling me about their relationship. They were high school and junior high sweethearts, went their separate ways after high school, both married other people. Eventually, "Sally's" husband died and "Harry" and his wife got a divorce. Sally was looking up some old friends and eventually left a message for Harry at home, neither knowing that the other was no longer married. Well, they reunited, got married and are living happily ever after. It was very sweet... especially the way he was telling the story. It was apparent he really loves her. Reminded me of the relationship stories on When Harry Met Sally.
In the Denver airport I witnessed an older woman lose her balance on one of those moving walkways, she fell down, knocked her head on the side rail and all of her belongings fell from her hands. There were plenty of people around who were able to stop the walkway and make sure she was ok, which she was after awhile but she sat there for a long time catching her breath waiting for the wheelchair.
Tomorrow after the fair I'll ride from Aspen to Denver with Tom from Gustavus, which we did last year. He's a very calm and laid-back guy, making the 4 hour drive much more interesting than if I were to do it alone. No plans tomorrow night, but Monday I'll head to Colorado Springs for a couple high school visits, interviews and a college fair. It'll work out to see Brian Watters at the end of the week, so that's something to look forward to.
Hope the Pittsburgh crew had a good time at the Social! Jenny and Jen- are you having quality laptop time tonight? :) I'm excited to hear if you enjoyed the rest of the conference.
I always sign off saying I'm tired and tonight's no different. It's been a long day and I still need to iron my clothes for tomorrow and pack my travel bag for the fair.
Sleep well,
Jilli
No comments:
Post a Comment