Today is Ash Wednesday. Every year I try to give up something for the 40 days of the Lent (sweets have been on the chopping block the past several years). While this may seem like a great sacrifice, it's actually a very selfish move. Most years this is the point in the winter where I'm feeling sluggish, less toned/less in shape than I'd prefer and my junk food consumption is at a high. So I cut out sweets in the hopes that I'll lose a pound or two, my clothes will fit better and I'll generally feel better about myself and my health. I can't say this has actually happened. Sure. It's definitely a challenge to give up the dove chocolates or ice cream before bed, the bit o' honey every day during 6th period and the random tasty cookie that I'm offered. But in the place of sweets, I end up eating more salty snacks, which doesn't necessarily help with that healthy feeling I seek.
I'm going to try something a little different this year. I can't say it's any less selfish, but I'm adding something to my life in addition to giving something up. Over the years, I have found that when I write regularly, I am more
likely to notice positivity, beauty and inspiration all around me. This year, I'm going to try to focus on this positivity and gratitude for the next 40 days in the hopes that my spirits will lift and I will be a better wife/daughter/friend/coworker/counselor. Along the same lines as the Happiness Project, I'm hopeful that I will become a happier person, which in turn will have a positive affect on my health, relationships, faith, etc. My goal is say/write every day until Easter. Maybe I'll just post a picture. Or a quote I've heard. I'm not exactly sure what this will look like; maybe it'll look similar to my posts last summer or during past travel seasons. I'm going to give it a whirl.
For my first day, I want to share a picture of our home. Last week, Rob and I were both fighting some sort of illness, which we suspect was the flu. We had temps well over 100, we spent many hours laying on the couch, watching movies, napping in the recliner and eating very little other than graham crackers and toast w/ peanut butter. The worst of my illness came when I was in Chicago for a conference. With a temp of 103, I had to muster up the energy to go to the grocery store across the street for some Tylenol and ginger ale. By the time I got home Wednesday evening, I was incredibly grateful to be home and over the course of the next few days, I was also grateful Rob and I had each other to share in our misery. While it wasn't the most romantic of Valentine's Days, I was glad to be in the company of my greatest love.
The sunset behind our house was especially beautiful tonight. I'm not sure the picture will do it justice, but I want to express just how grateful I am for our beautiful home. I love coming home; it's where I feel the most comfortable, at ease, happy and loved.
Happy to be home,
Jill

No comments:
Post a Comment