Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Active Wave

Rob left early this morning and boy would it have been easy to sleep in. I managed to drag myself out of bed at 6:30am, not too shabby considering the house was quiet and I didn't have anything pressing on my calendar -- other than that delicious first cup of coffee. I read outside for a little bit, finished that first cup of coffee and decided I better head out for my morning run before it got too steamy.

Are you an active waver to passers by? I am. I wave at every car that passes while I'm running and grumble a little if they don't return the greeting. This morning, not only did I get an enthusiastic wave from a woman in a Prius, she gave a little toot of her horn! Made me smile. Shortly after that, I was coming up to the woman with the dogs (mentioned a few posts ago) ... she was talking to one of her neighbors who was driving out of the neighborhood. They both waved and when I passed the woman again a little later (which is not uncommon since my route includes going in and out of cul-de-sacs multiple times in the air park), she told me I was inspirational and that the only way you'd find her running was if a bear was chasing her. I slowed to a walk, introduced myself and we talked for a couple minutes about running, her dogs, the neighborhood, etc. I'm excited to have met someone from the airpark! Her name is Bev.

I came home and realized that now was as good a time as any to mow the lawn. Like last week, I took the 4 wheeler for a little spin before getting to work. Apparently, last week I mowed the lawn in "idle" mode the whole time, which would explain why I felt like it took extra long and I never picked up any speed. Today was much better. I still have to figure out the best route around the yard, but I certainly put less miles on the mower. I even tackled the killer hill behind the trailer on the northwest side of the house. I almost left it for Rob, kept looking at it as I was mowing near it, tried it a couple times and chickened out (it feels like I'm going to tip over!), but just before putting the mower away, I gave it one last try. Success! Take that killer hill.

After my laser appointment at Rejuv, I went over to Kelly's house for a walk and lunch. It had been awhile since I'd seen Ben and Sam -- they're getting so old! Kaitlyn was at horse camp so I didn't get to see her or wish her a happy birthday, which happens to be today.

Errands after that -- Costco and Target. I expected each of them to be less busy on a Tuesday afternoon, but they were both about as busy as on a weekend. Well, not entirely true. The Costco parking lot was much less crazy, but they still had samples (yum) and lots of shoppers. Is Tuesday the day for seniors to shop at Costco? Could explain all the white hair.

A little before sunset, I told Rob I was taking him on a 4 wheeler ride. We rode to a high spot, north on Canby, and watched one of the most beautiful sunsets we'll see this summer. There were big, fluffy clouds that turned orange and pink as the sun descended below the horizon. Neither one of us had our phones otherwise you'd see a sunset pic right here. It wouldn't have done it justice so it's probably just as well.

Terrific Tuesday,
Jill

No comments: