Thursday, June 19, 2014

So Much Rain = Flooding

We woke up in the middle of the night to 3 different waves of torrential downpours! The first one seemed to be the worst, complete with thunder, lightening and hail. During the second one there was a clap of thunder so loud it shook the bookshelf in our second bedroom causing this decorative, music playing hanging to start playing music. (Hearing Edelweiss at 3:00am during a thunderstorm does not make for restful sleep -- that's the stuff horror movies are made of!) The rain really did not stop until late morning when it was time for me to head into Northfield for lunch with Jenny P, Jenny H and Jake H (classmate from StO).

I picked up the Jennys and we met Jake at Hogan Bros for a delicious sandwich and cup of soup (thanks Jenny P!). Jake had reached out to Jenny P to set up this get together, Jenny P was not sure what the two of them would have to talk about for a whole lunch hour so she invited Jenny and me since we know him from college and working in admissions as student workers. Turns out Jake had wanted to talk to her about a job opportunity, so while he was happy to spend time with Jenny H and me, he was probably disappointed that he drove all the way to Northfield and didn't get to the the true purpose of his visit. Oh well ... I ended up having a great time. He's a nice guy and it was easy to visit for the hour we were all together. As it turns out, he knows Curt S from his balloon flying days! Small world.

After I dropped the Jennys back on campus, I headed back downtown Northfield to check out the flooding of the Cannon River. Yikes -- it's pretty bad. The water has run over into the grassy area where the DJJD carnival takes place, it's over the wall obliterating the sidewalk in a couple spots by the Archer House and it's seeping through the floors in some of the businesses along the river walk.

                   

                                                

                                        

Right after I sent pictures of Carlson Co to Sheila and Jason, Jason walked out of the office! He was helping with the flood prep by moving furniture out of the basement of the building.

                                                        

After that, I ran walked a little farther north to the walking bridge where I took more photos and ran into Monica's sister-in-law Christine. I walked back through Bridge Square and ran into Rob's cousin Mike. And then Monica and Joey! The three of us watched the river, then walked to a hole-in-the-wall store and shopped for a bit.
                                                        

Even though I suspected that golf would be cancelled for the night, I left town in order to get home, change and make it to Apple Valley in time for our 6:22pm tee time. On the way to AV it poured! I got to the golf course and knew we would not be golfing, but we decided to attend the Lupus Foundation fundraising dinner, which was still going on despite the rain. Unfortunately, they postponed the silent auction, so there weren't many ways to donate to the foundation. However, Mom, Anita and I had a good time together.... watching Katie from afar. :) She was pretty tame tonight. Just a little tousled hair and slouched posture.

Hopefully the heavy rains are done, rivers can go back to normal and places can dry out a bit.

Jill

No comments: