Thursday, April 04, 2013

Always a Bridesmaid

The next item on our wedding checklist: Bridesmaids Dresses.

I've been a bridesmaid in 7 weddings -- the process of selecting a bridesmaids dress fits generally into three categories:

1. The bride picks a color and the bridesmaid buys the dress of her choice.
2. The bride brings as many bridesmaids with her and they select the dresses together.
3. The bride does research (in store and online), chooses the dress and the bridesmaids have no choice.

Each option has its advantages. And certainly disadvantages. As a bridesmaid, each category caused some anxiety. Choosing a black dress seemed like it would be easy -- but there were almost too many choices! Shopping together was fun, but if the dress I liked wasn't selected, I was disappointed. Not to mention the fact that the bride knows everyone's opinion, causing her potential anxiety. And, finally, even though sometimes it's nice just to be told what to wear, it can be frustrating as a bridesmaid not to have a say in the matter -- normally, you spend over $100 on the dress and have to wear it for many hours and you're featured in many photos.

I chose option 3. Although, I did bring one friend because I never would have been able to pick a dress completely on my own. Julie and I headed for the wedding shoppe where we tried on over 20 dresses, narrowed our selection and committed to THE dress over the course of 90 minutes. Impressive! The dress is strapless, has pleats and pockets and, based on my experience wearing 2 similar dresses in friends' weddings, I think the style is flattering and comfortable. And the price was right! When envisioning colors for the wedding, I kept thinking cranberry or raspberry, but that night I was struck by a beautiful, shimmery blue option -- caspian. Julie and I almost left the shop with the intention to make a decision by morning -- caspian or fruit punch -- but before long I realized I wouldn't like the other colors any better the next day. We went with the blue.

Each of the girls is going to look beautiful!!

The Bride,
Jill

No comments: