Even though I know it's silly to get worked up about Valentine's Day, I love the holiday! It's a great opportunity to share your feelings with loved ones, make construction paper hearts, wear pink or red (I opted for pink), and enjoy sugary sweets (unless it's Lent and you've given up sweets -- whoops). Since Valentine's Day was on a Thursday, Rob and I planned on having a very romantic (not really) leftover dinner that night and had reservations at Chianti Grill Friday night.
The thought certainly crossed my mind that Rob might propose one of those nights, but I wasn't entirely convinced because he's not overly romantic (certainly acknowledges the important events -- birthdays, holidays, Valentine's Day). I was even less convinced as we ate our leftover crockpot dinner because he was so calm! After dinner, we decided to open gifts and watch a romantic comedy, so we moved to the living room where his heart covered, pink gift was wrapped. (I told you, I like cheesing it up on VDay.) He opened his gift -- a certificate for a massage -- and gave me my card. As I started to open the card, he said that he promised there was more to the card than the last time he gave just a card. For my birthday last summer, the card included a picture of two people in a hot air balloon. My gift was a hot air balloon ride!! But the weather was bad that night so it had to be cancelled. We have yet to take the hot air balloon ride, so I haven't gotten that birthday gift yet. :)
Back to the card. On the front was "I Heart You," which was appropriate because for the first year of our relationship, that's how we said, "I Love You." As I opened the card, Rob got down on one knee, pulled a ring out of his pocket and said, "Jill Lynch, will you marry me?" The words were also written in the card.
Even though I thought it might happen that night, in that moment I was surprised. After many kisses and exclamations, I said, "Yes!!!!"
Needless to say, we never got around to watching that movie. Instead, we enjoyed our new engagement and decided not to tell anyone until we could tell our immediate family in person the next day/night.
Since we wanted to tell family in person, I didn't tell anyone at work the next day. What a huge secret to keep!! Especially when one friend came up to me that morning, looked at my left hand and said, "No ring?? I thought for sure it was going to happen last night." I responded with a shrug and said, "Ask Rob....." I maaaaay have brought the ring to work, kept it safely in its box in my purse and peeked at it several times throughout the day. Can you blame me??
We knew that Dad and Monica were going to the George Strait concert that night, so I texted Dad and asked: if someone wanted to see them before the concert where and when could that happen. It didn't take him long to figure out what I wanted, he said they could swing by work during the day. After many texts and conversations, I acknowledged that we were speaking in code, that we both knew what was going on and that I wanted Rob to be there when we saw them. So they changed their afternoon plans, stayed in Northfield for an early dinner and stopped by our place on their way to the cities. Monica brought 4 bridal magazines and cried out of happiness for us. Dad told her she had to stop crying because he was on the verge of tears too.
I had emailed Mom during the day to see what their weekend plans included. They went up to their farm Friday afternoon and wouldn't be back until Saturday night. We weren't going to drive all the way to Taylors Falls, so on our way to Rob's parents' house we called her. She was thrilled!!
Next we went to Peter and Jackie's. They, too, were excited!! At one point in our time with them, Jackie said, "Finally." :) After that we headed to Steve and Carrie's place. Rob had shown Steve the ring on Wednesday night, so they knew the proposal was coming but they were still excited. By the time we left their place, I was starving (oh yeah, we cancelled our dinner reservations so we could make the rounds to family) so we headed for Lakeville. I called Andy and asked if they'd be interested in joining us for a late dinner at Babe's. They had just left there, it was sort of late and he had to work the next morning so he said he'd talk to Malinda and get back to us. Of course we would have gone to their house if they didn't want to meet, but he called back a few minutes later and said they'd join us for a little bit.
When we finally told them we were engaged (tried to hide the ring under the table) Andy said, "We couldn't smell that from a mile away." Half an hour earlier, as they ate dinner at Babe's, they decided the proposal must not have happened. They expected to get a call on Valentine's Night, and when Andy got a text late in the evening, he thought for sure it was from me. Not from me. As they were out Friday night, they figured it hadn't happen because there was no do-you-want-to-meet-for-dinner call. Until about 8:15pm...when I called and said, "do you want to meet for dinner?" :) Hugs all around.
On our way home, we called Liz who was in Chicago for the weekend. Rob left her a message asking her to call him back. When she saw that he called, she told her friends that Rob and Jill must have gotten engaged because Rob never calls.
Love and happiness all around!! The perfect Valentine's Weekend.
Even though we both knew it was coming, there's something so exciting about being engaged. Just last night I was tearful about the fact that I get to spend the rest of my life with Rob -- he's my rock.
LOVE,
Even though we both knew it was coming, there's something so exciting about being engaged. Just last night I was tearful about the fact that I get to spend the rest of my life with Rob -- he's my rock.
LOVE,
Jill
1 comment:
Congrats jilli! So happy for you! xoxo
Post a Comment