Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Welcome to 2013

New Years Eve day was a relatively uneventful day. So uneventful, in fact, that I felt a little lame about it. I could have had the exact same day living in Burnsville and felt pretty good about it, but living with Rob... I worry I've been found out. Sometimes I'm boring. And I like to be at home with nothing to do. In weeks/months to come, I'll be longing for a day like yesterday... but yesterday I felt insecure about my lack of a social life. I got over it, but Rob's patience and reassurance certainly helped me feel better.

Our New Years plans involved hanging out at the Hardman's with friends. A perfect way to ring in 2013. We left Elko around 1:00am and took the dirt roads back to Webster, at which point we came upon a Volvo that had recently gone in the ditch. The car was running, lights were still on, people were in the car. We pulled over to the side of the road and before Rob and I could discuss how to help these folks, a young guy was walking around the back of my car and up to my window. It was a little creepy. By the time I rolled down my window the guy and his friend started telling us how they had gone into the ditch, but that they weren't driving because they were drunk, and their "sober driver" got out of the car and started walking back to the house from where they had come, left them there to get out of the ditch. Oh really? These guys were in the middle of nowhere and it was zero degrees out... I highly doubt a friend left them and started walking anywhere. Rob and I were perplexed as to how to help these two yahoos. We asked where they'd been -- they looked at each other and said, "Lakeville.... Prior Lake...." We asked who's house was nearby they looked confused again and said, "Was it Abby...?" Clearly they were hammered. Rob was hesitant to help them out, he pointed out that the best place for them was in the ditch because they obviously should not be driving. Of course they said that if we helped them out of the ditch, they'd sit there and wait. Right.

We ended up calling the Rice County non emergency police number and reported the incident. Rob talked to whoever answered the phone, explained what happened, where we were (corner of Canby and 35th -- sounds much more metropolitan than it actually is), and what was going on with the guys in the car. We swung around to get their license plate and eventually drove away. I could see one of the guys in the middle of the road with his arms in the air, probably lamenting the fact that we were leaving them in the middle of nowhere.

Out of curiosity, we drove around for a few minutes and ended back at the Volvo... far away enough so they couldn't see us but we could see the taillights of their car. While we were on the side of the road, another car came up behind us (turned on their signal to pass us!!) and stopped by the Volvo. Within a few minutes a truck drove past us and also stopped at the Volvo. At this point, we were confident the guys weren't going to freeze in the ditch so we headed home. By the time we got to Canby, two Rice County deputies pulled up with lights flashing to "help" the guys.

I wonder how many DWIs were given at the corner of Canby and 35th last night.....

Happy New Year,
Jill

No comments: