Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Springs

It's working. Yesterday was another fantastic day!

Started off with my daily trip to Starbucks (sorry Peaberry, Starbucks is right next to my hotel) where I ordered a yogurt parfait, a cup of coffee and a bottle of water for the road. The drive to Colorado Springs was beautiful, the sun was rising in the east, shining on the snow capped mountains in the west.

My first high school visit was a bust, but the admin was friendly and we chatted about her frustrations with the online system for ordering Rockies tickets. (She tried for hours, as did thousands of other Rockies fans, to order tickets and never made it past the first screen.) I'm friends with the counselor at the next high school and she did a great job of recruiting students for my visit, so there were 4 great seniors who are interested in St. Olaf. While I was in that visit, I missed a call from the mom of a current first year student who was hoping to meet me at the previous high school. We never had a chance to meet throughout her daughter's admission process and she was hoping to connect with me while I was in town. Long story short, she met up with me just as I was finishing up an interview at Starbucks and took me out to lunch. Such a nice treat! Her daughter is loving St. Olaf, which is always good to hear.

After lunch, I had to boogie back to Denver for an interview with another student and her dad. This young woman is about the most unique person I've met! She's written a novel, has an online doll clothing company (she knits clothing for a certain type of doll), taught herself how to create websites, etc. On top of all that, she has a vibrant personality.

Brian Watters and I met at the Denver Aquarium for dinner, which was the perfect end to a great day.

I've gotta run.... off to my last high school visit and then heading home!
Jill

No comments: