It's been awhile since I've taken the time to write. Before I went to bed last night, I looked back at my entries from last travel season and I'm amazed I found the time (or took the time) to write so much! Guess I've been a little lazier this travel season... either that or I've had less exciting things to write about. It's probably the former. I've learned over time that when I take the time to write, I pay attention to the great things that happen to me each day.
I'm in Boulder, CO where I visited two high schools this morning- the first one was quite possibly my worst visit, the second was my most fun visits, so I guess they balance each other out. The first was at a high school where we consistently have several applicants each year (one this year is applying Early Decision!). Normally, this is a fantastic hs visit, but for whatever reason, the group of 11 kids today was non responsive to my "presentation". One kind soul kept adding her two cents as the sibling of a current student. I appreciated her effort to get the group more interested and engaged, but sadly her efforts didn't help much. I spent 2 hours at the next high school, where it's rare for me to see even one solid student. The two students who met with me are girls I interviewed when I was here two weeks ago. They're good friends so had been looking forward to our visit this afternoon. Lucky for all of us, no one else was interested in learning more about St. Olaf so the three of us chatted about their lives for 2 hours! We had such a great time.
Now I'm sitting outside a restaurant called Mad Greens where I had a delicious salad called the Edgar Allen Poe. I believe it was my first salad of the fall (don't ask how my pants are fitting). The weather is gorgeous! Started off chilly on Sunday, but has warmed progressively throughout the week.
This afternoon I'm getting together with Elena, who is one of the few St. Olaf students who transfers away from Olaf. She decided to go to CU Boulder to study opera with a world renowned opera instructor. I'm excited to see her and to hear how she's liking Boulder!
I spent yesterday in Fort Collins, where I visited some high schools and had an interview with a student and her dad. After that, I headed to Greeley where I had dinner with Micah. You might remember Micah from this time last year... he is from Colorado Springs, family couldn't afford to send him to Olaf so he went to UNC. Since then, we've stayed in touch and try to get together when we're in each other's city. Micah is definitely my favorite student who did not enroll at St. Olaf. I appreciate the fact that he contacts me to get together! Makes it seem a little less strange to hang out with a 20 year old who's not at Olaf. We went to Red Robin for delicious 'shroom burgers and shakes.
Hard to believe this is my last week of fall travel. Only having Colorado as an out of state territory makes for limited travel, which has advantages and disadvantages. Of course, I'm focusing on the advantages.
Lookin' for the good in each day,
Jilli
No comments:
Post a Comment