As we turned onto our street on our return from Frontenac, Rob looked at the house, then at me, then back at the house. He clearly noticed something that I didn't right away. Once I looked again, I sat straight up and exclaimed, "We have 2 rows of growth!!" Our garden is growing! When we left Friday afternoon, the only green we could see in the garden was the green from the tomato and pepper plants we put in the ground. In two short days, the beans had grown about an inch!! In addition, the sunflowers were poking through the ground as were the cucumbers. So exciting!
By Monday, I could see teeny tiny grasslike growth in the rows of carrots.
I'm sure the novelty of growing a garden will wear off by the time we do this again next year. For now, I'm loving it. Honestly, I'm a little bit in awe that we are responsible for the start of a successful garden. Who knows what next week will bring, but I'm enjoying watching the progress. Truthfully, I walk down there more than once throughout the day. Just to check on them. Is that so wrong?
Our friends, Sarah and Ryan, were in town from Colorado for a Minnesota wedding this weekend. Thankfully they were able to fit us into their busy weekend plans for dinner on Sunday evening. We had dinner at the Chart House where we enjoyed the lovely weather (maybe a little humid), beautiful setting and excellent company!
Monday was a quiet day around the house. I went for a humid mid-morning run around the neighborhood, did some laundry, baked banana bread, and cleaned out the camper. There was a quick and severe thunderstorm that passed through in the evening, producing a double rainbow out the east side of the house. Breathtaking.
As we were sitting on the front step enjoying the beautiful sight, our little toad-friend hopped from my chair onto the ground. Scared the crap out of me. Him too, probably. Over the course of the last couple weeks, he's made his way from the front step to the pillar of the house, to the pillow of the adirondack chair, and when I came home today, I found him on the side of the house. Odd (and busy) little guy.
The thought has crossed my mind that I need more to do with my time. :) I'm certainly enjoying the peaceful summer, so the thought doesn't stay long.
Jill





No comments:
Post a Comment