Sunday, November 15, 2009

Serious

I love days like today.

I slept over 7 hours and woke up at 8am ready for the day. After enjoying mochas, Julie, Carson and I went for a walk in the crisp November morning weather.

As much as I enjoyed my time with my neighbors, it can't compare to the time spent with Kevin, George and Anna. Kevin and I went to the Lagoon and saw A Serious Man, which was filmed in part at St. Olaf. It was exciting to see the lecture halls of the old science center. I know we had a few students who were extras in the film, but we never saw them in the movie.

Leave it to the Coen Bros to leave you hanging. Kevin and I talked at length about the premise of the movie - the movie is not at all sensationalized and left me feeling connected to the main charachter, Larry, whose life is not easy and is filled with complications. There isn't a typical Hollywood ending with everything wrapped up nicely, but leaves you wondering what happens... I wanted at least one more scene to help explain what happens to Larry and his family, but that's not the point. The point is that life doesn't have a simple, happy ending, but we're always dealing with questions and uncertainties.

That wasn't even the best part of my night! Kevin and I went over to George and Anna's for dinner after the movie. I haven't seen them since their wedding in August, so it was so fantastic to catch up with them, debrief about their wedding and hear about their lives.

Spending time with those three (Kevin, George and Anna) I'm reminded of how blessed I am to have such amazing friends in my life. After dinner, Kevin and I had great discussions about dating, travel and our place in life. I appreciate that Kevin is a deep thinker and relates well to my place in life - he thinks about ways to better his life and to appreciate his place in this world. I'm not articulating well enough how important these relationships and conversations are to me, but my heart is full after spending time with those guys. It seems that Kevin and I frequently have meaningful conversations that leave me feeling incredibly fortunate and appreciative of our relationship. And something that makes me happy is that I think he enjoys our time together just as much as I do.

I love my friends.... You help me to appreciate my life more deeply.
Jill

No comments: